Friday, September 2, 2016

The First Principle Of Confusion-ism


The Great and Powerful Oz, err . . . MaGuru, studies all the ancient philosophies that may be of benefit to his students. Have you ever heard of "Confusion-ism?" MaGuru thought not!

In my years of teaching and playing guitar and ukulele, I have witnessed many episodes of Confusion-ism, characterized by anxiety, upset and, well . . . confusion. My most diligent disciples ask, Oh, MaGuru . .  .

     Why am I having so much trouble with the Bb chord?
     How long before my fingertips toughen up?
     Why do I always choke when I play in front of people?

And most frequently,

     Hey, MaGuru, can you spot me a twenty until my next lesson?

The potential questions are endless, and to these, MaGuru says . . .

Do not trouble yourself with questions of limitation. Embrace all music, and your anxiety disappears. Be it The Beatles or The Bangles, Miles Davis or Spencer Davis, Tears for Fears or Brittany Spears, at the end of the day, it's all beautiful music to someone. Music is a source of joy. Let it happen!

And, for those of you reading this who don't play an instrument, make music a bigger part of your day. While driving, take a break from talk radio or top 40 background noise, put on a favorite CD or connect to an internet station you love, and TURN IT UP!!! Sing along—LOUD! Let the music enter you. Feel the rhythm and the passion in the music. When washing the dishes, turn off the news and "Lively Up Yourself!" Sing loud and proud.

MaGuru knows a few things about a few things, and one thing he knows for sure, while playing, listening or singing along, any feelings of confusion will disappear. This is the first principle of the ancient philosophy of Confusion-ism!

(My apologies to Confucius.)

 
Oh, MaGuru, you've done it again!


To learn more about online ukulele and guitar lessons with Stu Zonder, click here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing that up, Maguru! We (and I think I speak for all of your disciples) appreciate your love for the love of music. Getting lost in a song, singing out loud-- even though I am a horrible singer-- and playing until I'm drenched in sweat have served me well throughout this life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard Dr. Phil has been offerred you a spot on his show. Is it true

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a musician nor do I aspire to be one. But, I love singing. I didn't sing for 2 yrs. Now I sing everywhere. It is wonderful. Turn it up & feel the beat in your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you are singing again, Jenny. Says a lot about how your life is moving in a great direction.

      Delete
  4. Oh MaGuru, I bow to your wisdom
    Now... about that 20?

    ReplyDelete